[time-nuts] How can I generate a very clean 1 W signal @ 116 MHz ?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon May 30 09:54:15 EDT 2016

On 5/30/2016 4:06 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
> I was thinking about designing a 2 m (144-146 MHz) ->HF (28-30 MHz)
> transverter, using a 116 MHz local oscillator feeding a level 30 mixer.
>
> 116 + 28 = 144
> 116 + 30 = 146
>
> I'm wondering what's the best way to generate 116 MHz with very low phase
> noise. Phase noise at < 20 kHz offset is particularly important, but 200

The "best" way is clearly to use a 116 MHz 5th overtone crystal
oscillator, which can be locked to 10 MHz with no difficulty.
I designed hundreds of these sorts of things 40 years ago when
I worked for Zeta Labs.  You might be able to repurpose one of
those "brick" microwave sources.  They used 5th OT XO's in
that general frequency range to drive a multiplier at something
like 1 watt.  Could be perfect for you.

Rick N6RK