[time-nuts] Man with too many clocks.

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 11:35:59 EDT 2016

I gave up on trying to use the GPS 1 PPS signal to calibrate the 10 MHz
OCXO's that
I have.   The reason that others have pointed out is that the
uncorrected 1 PPS
signal from the GPS is has just a little too much a jitter to use it for
calibration
with your eye using a scope.   If it were sawtooth corrected then it
would be better
but you really need a GPS disciplined oscillator.

Not to be outdone, I brought out a rubidium oscillator that I had put
away because
it did not appear to work properly.   It only put out a 1 PPS signal and
nothing else.
I compared that with the GPS PPS and could get a good comparison on the
scope.
The rubidium drifted about 40 nS over 12 hours.   So it seemed to be good.

With that I could adjust the OCXO's in my 5370's.   The spec for the HP
5370B with
a HP 10811 OCXO is better than 1 X 10^-10 RMS for 1 sec average. That
is, it should
take more than 1,000 seconds for one 10 MHz wave to shift by 360
degrees.   That
is very hard to do using the screw adjustment in the OCXO.   Even the
slightest
movement possible will cause a frequency change greater that is
spec'ed.   How
do cal labs do it?

My HP 5370A has a 10544 OCXO which is spec'ed for short term stability of
better than 1 X 10^11 for 1 second.   Even better than the 5370B! The
adjustment
screw is much coarser and it is not possible to get any better than a
few seconds for
one cycle phase shift of the 10 MHz OCXO against the standard.   It
seems that I can't
get even close to the spec.

These have been running for a few days.   It that enough?

Pete.