[time-nuts] Satellite TV messed up, how is GPS time

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Fri Nov 4 18:49:13 EDT 2016

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 03:19:20PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:

> petervince1952 at gmail.com said:
> > Sorry Don, I beg to differ.  The effects are often not noticeable in these
> > days of digital television, but the noise-floor can definitely be seen to
> > rise dramatically on a spectrum analyser.
>
> Right.  But I think that's because the sun is lining up with the satellite
> rather than the ionosphere is getting trashed and messing up propagation.

	BOTH can be issues.   Faraday rotation can reduce polarization
isolation in geomagnetic storms... worse at high latitudes... and also
geomagnetic storms can cause antenna pointing issues for satellites...

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in