[time-nuts] Microscope for SMT work...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sat Nov 5 23:49:00 EDT 2016

Ian,

You have a very nice setup.  I also bought an AM-Scope about three
years ago.  Mine has the associated 8-bazillion ton white stand on
the edge of the bench with double arms that lets me swing it over to
where I'm working.  As I recall, it has a zoom range of about 3.5 to
45x which is more than enough range for SMT work.  Not only is it
great for SMT work, it's great for removing slivers from my
fingers.  The optics on the AM Scope instruments are excellent.  I
was fortunate in that a friend of mine works in a lab that builds
satellite LNB's, so I was able to go play with the microscope before
going to the Minister of Finance to get a blessing on purchasing
it.  It was amazing that even the slightest suggestion of using it to
be able to repair the smallest of jewelry resulted in a blessing of
the proposed purchase  :>

See:
http://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/3-5x-45x-trinocular-stereo-boom-zoom-microscope-fluorescent-light.html

Burt, K6OQK

   Also, a recent addition that makes SMT so easy, the title of the manual is,
"Instruction Manual for SE400, SE400-LED,  Long Working Distance
Stereo Microscope",
about $200.

   With a working distance of nine inches or so, it beats the pants off my
previous magnifier, Optivisor 10x where I have to have my face less than two
inches from the soldering area.

   .. got the microscope from description from W7ZOI web site.
http://w7zoi.net/micscope.html

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services