[time-nuts] Thinking outside the box a super reference

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 04:10:12 EST 2016

> > Just for the heck of it, I'd go laser instead of the old UHF lamp.
> >
> > With respect to precision machining, that space has changed a lot
> > over the last five years, with precision CNC machines, factory
> > or home-built, dropping dramatically in price.
> Yes, the laser technique is doable even if one has to build an ECDL.
> What would be nice would be a scheme that allows the same Rb filled bulb
> to be used to both lock the laser to the right wavelength and to detect
> that the microwave signal is also locked to the Rb microwave transition.

FWIW we have the remains of this experiment somewhere in the basement - but
no time or resources to really play with it...
http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2010/isbn9789526035024/article4.pdf
Fig 3 is a fairly clear overview of the two cells and loops, one for
stabilizing the laser wavelength, and one for the 3 GHz
sidebands/clock-transition.
For hobby tinkering I would expect the Rb-cells and the optical isolator to
be hard/expensive to source. Otherwise the electronics needed looks
DIY-able.

Anders