[time-nuts] A (slightly) different apu2 question

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 11:48:36 EST 2016

> NTP does not require softstamps.  NTP can be (and I believe it has been in
> a product) modified to use "PTP" hardware (hardstamps) and  reasonably
> current releases can run with "drivestamps" (sampled in the NIC driver)
> between cooperating endpoints.

Of course it does not *require* software timestamps, I never said that, it
is just the fact that most people use it with software timestamps, even if
the NIC permits hardware timestamps. You need a secondary servo to sync the
NIC to O/S clock if you want to serve that (or consume that) - or sync the
NIC to external 1PPS. What you call a "drivestamp", I call a software
timestamp. If it's not a function of the silicon, it's software. All I
meant was that there is some unexploited potential.

--
-

Wojciech Owczarek