[time-nuts] Excel logarithmic function (was Thermal impact on OCXO)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 18 16:36:13 EST 2016

Hi Lars,

Now, consider f(t) = a*log(b*t+1), then the derivate is a*b/(b*t+1) and
second derivate - a * b^2 / (b*t + 1)^2.

Forming first f'(t) and second f"(t) derivate estimates from data is
trivial. Given that we can estimate a and b using

a = - f('t)^2 / f"(t)

b = - f'(t) / (f'(t) * t - a)

A bit of paper and pen work or you get Maxima to do some work for you.
I haven't seen how any real estimator of this drift function is
implemented, but I wanted to provide some notes from note-book of stuff
being unfinished.

Cheers,
Magnus