[time-nuts] How can I measure GPS Antenna quality?

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Sun Nov 20 22:22:38 EST 2016

> Le 21 nov. 2016 à 02:57, Tom Van Baak <tvb at LeapSecond.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi Hal,
>
> That's a very sensible question. I've often wondered the same, but I'm embarrassed to say I have never done a thorough job with it. You know the constellation repeats approximately every 24 hours so you want your X hours to be a multiple of days.
>
> Looking at SNR seems obvious and may even be sufficient. Alternatively you could track the deviation of the per-SV timing solutions and draw conclusions from that. I suspect multi-path effects would show up in these residuals more than they would show up with just NSV (number of satellites received) or SNR (signal to noise ratio)
>
> But in some respects, the bottom line is not NSV or SNR or multi-path or anything like that. What counts is only how well the 1PPS matches a local high-quality time standard (e.g., Cesium or better).
>
> Another issue is that it's possible that the quality of a set of N antenna would sort differently for you than for me: different latitude, different sky-view, different weather. Some time nuts (not me) get lucky with a perfectly clear 360 degree horizon view.
>
> I agree that N antennas and N receivers makes the experiment easier, because you might spend as much time validating that a set of receivers are all the same as later comparing various antennas.

Sensible question but not easy to answer directly without a  spectrum analyser directly connected. Not having one of those I went the n receivers/ m antenna method since all I wanted was to get the best subset from what I had. My antenna are of the €5-€25 puck variety and I tested about eight 5V, 5/3V active Noname and Trimble antenna with  half a dozen receiver types. I am unlucky in having just a north looking sky view and in built up area which gets me significant multi path at certain times. So I first of all selected a period during the day where all receivers were reporting best SNR and max NSV and most stable 1PPS . I then measured the 8 antenna over the same time interval (IIRC it was 08h-11h) against the 1PPS of a PRS10 rubidium ref.  The GPS 1PPS was verified to see if it held the manufacturers stability spec which they mostly did. It was easy to see this against the rubidium signal. So I picked the best 4 and use them to feed my receiver pen via Mini-Circuits distributers ( There is a small signal loss here but in spec. 3db IIRC ). They have been in place for about 3-4 years at least without issue.