[time-nuts] 53132 replacement fan

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:22:48 EST 2016

Is the original fan controlled by a temperature sensor?   That is the best
way to control noise because the fan runs at lower RPM most of the time and
high speed only when needed.  So the airflow and noise is only as much as
is required,

They make retrofit kits, fans with sensors most for use in old PCs but you
can use them anyplace.  Typically there is a pot you adjust to set to
desired internal use tempature.   Almost all new design hardware is like
this.  Notice the newer fans use three wires.  One of then is a tachometer
sensor to provide RPM feedback to the fan controller.   It costs only a
little to retrofit one of these.  Look were they sell computer parts.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 9:57 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 11/21/16 6:39 AM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
>
>> Tom wrote:
>>
>> EFB0412MD
>>> Airflow 7.17 CFM
>>> 6300 RPM
>>> Noise 24 dBA
>>>
>>> FBK04F12U
>>> Same exact form factor.
>>> Air Flow 9.2 CFM
>>> 9500 RPM
>>> Noise 42 dB(A)
>>>

>> Note the 18dB greater noise (that's a HUGE difference).  Even with bad
>> bearings in the original fan, it is probably considerably quieter (by
>> 10dB or more) than the proposed replacement.  On the other hand, the
>> replacement moves 28% more air, which may be a good thing.
>>

> That's a 40mm fan, which is a standard size, I'll bet you can find a
> slower turning/quieter fan.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California