[time-nuts] Do reflections up/down the antenna cable cause a problem with GPS?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 22 18:53:10 EST 2016

Hi,

I agree.

In general, you have one 50=>75 transmission loss, cable damping, one
75=>50 reflection, cable damping, a 75=>50 reflection, cable damping,
75=>50 transmission for the direct path of 50=>75 transmission, cable
damping 75=>50 transmission. Thus, the reflection will be two cable
damping and two 75=>50 reflections below the original signal.

The reflection will be close, so it cares, but the amplitude will be so
small that the shift is not significant. For the L1 C/A code-receivers
the offset will be fairly drowned in the noise and offsets. Probably
below 1 ns.

So, for all practical matters for the type of receiver, no, no real impact.

If you are into carrier phase and maybe dual or more bands, then it
cares more because you have less noise and offsets.

Cheers,
Magnus