[time-nuts] Best Chance GPS module

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:36:47 EST 2016

I have found that the cheap  V.KEL SIRF=III modules (I paid $15-$20 for three)  have excellent indoor performance with their built-in patch antenna.  They don't do GLONASS.  I even get indoor tracking with the module sitting on the ground floor of a 2 story hose with the patch antenna facing the floor!

The NEO M8 is a decent device.  I've seen mine tracking over 24 sats.  The module that I have has a U.FL antenna connector with pads for adding an edge-launch SMA connector (I hate U.FL connectors).  I seem to remember that they can't track GPS, GLONASS, and BEIDOU at the same time.

I have gotten surprisingly good performance with a cheap GPS/GLONASS puck like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201698154683?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For NTP applications,  multi-path errors will be swamped out by the "noise" in NTP.  I don't think that a timing receiver adds much value except possibly the ability to still work with one or two sats visible.   Many GPS/GLONAS/BEIDOU capable timing receivers don't do precision timing with more than one sat system type enabled...  I think the Venus devices are like that... they only to GPS timing.