[time-nuts] RPi/ beagle bone-like computer without video

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Nov 30 20:07:13 EST 2016

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 16:57:10 -0800
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Power consumption - it's going to be battery powered
> I've been looking through the literature, and you can power down some of
> the chips on most of these things.

If power consumption is an issue for you, then I would advise against
going for a Linux board, unless you either find a board that is specifically
designed for that purpose (and has the software support) or you have
a few months time to iron out the problems in the Linux kernel to
get the system to go into sleep.

It's far easier to use something line Nuttx or FreeRTOS on an
Cortex-M3 or arm9 and get that to use little power than it is
to get an full fledged Linux system to behave.
(Stay away from Zephyr, it's a trap)

			Attila Kinali

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.