[time-nuts] For those that insist on using switching power supplies

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Sat Oct 22 08:31:14 EDT 2016

Am Thu, 13 Oct 2016 17:57:02 -0500
schrieb "Graham / KE9H" <ke9h.graham at gmail.com>:

> Actually, if they have the "CE" stamp on the product, then they have
> very specific radio interference limits that they must test and meet.
> It must have been tested, certified, and the certification package
> available for inspection.

Umm, I guess most of us wish it was actually like that. Strictly
speaking, the CE sign legally is no more than a statement by the
manufacturer that he believes this very product conforms to the
applicable rules ans regulations. This does not imply any testing by
itself. It's more of an self assessment, which could also be based on
gut feeling and customer requirements ("must have CE sign").

Testing is not required to carry the CE mark. Yes, of course, the CE
mark implies that the product meets various requirements, out of which
some can only be guaranteed through testing, but this is often
overlooked.

> Whether they actually met it, then pulled the interference supression
> parts off the board as a "cost reduction" as is common in no-name
> computer power supplies, or whether it never met it to begin with, is
> for you to speculate.  Some suppliers will explain to you that "CE"
> means China Export, not that it meets the consolidated European
> safety and electrical rules.

The more honest scumbags will just claim this very device was not
intended to be sold outside of China and they don't have the logistics
to produce enclosures with different labeling.

How much of this is considered close to truth depends on those who do
consider. As long as all those smallish shops in Shenzhen are not
faced by prosecution, this won't change, and China does not seem keen
on changing this.

Best regards,
Florian