[time-nuts] Difference in manufacturing for fundamental tone, 3rd, and 5th overtone crystals

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 09:14:18 EDT 2016

On 10/28/16 5:03 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you look at the mode shapes for the various overtones, their energy
> maxima are at different locations on the blank. If you put an electrode on
> top of the 3rd overtone energy pattern (and avoid the fundamental pattern)
> you will boost the 3rd and reduce the fundamental. You can actually find
> examples of this in production.
>
> A more aggressive approach would be to “sort circuit” the fundamental energy
> so that the fundamental went down even further. While it can be done, I have
> never seen a production example of doing this.

Fascinating.. this is similar to the reason piano hammers strike 1/7th
of the way from the end of the string - to suppress that particular
overtone, which is dissonant.

And, the whole "playing a harmonic" on a guitar is exactly what you're
talking about with picks replacing electrode positions..

https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/harmonics/ is the first hit I
got on google and explains it.

There's all sorts of harmonic maps for guitar (where to pluck or push)