[time-nuts] theoretical Allan Variance question

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 00:04:09 EDT 2016

Dear Stewart

FWIW, if you do the experiment I suggested (TI measurement on
identical 10 MHZ etc) on a HP53132A counter, you get ADEV = 2.0x10^-10
at 1 second.

The manual says the LSD is 150 ps; when you include trigger errors, it
specifies a resolution of 300 ps. The 200 ps implied by the
measurement above is somewhere in between. The specs may be
conservative though.

As Bob Camp said, in Situation 2, you see the noise of the measurement system.

Cheers
Michael