[time-nuts] Has anybody checked this? GPSDO in kit

Giuseppe Marullo giuseppe at marullo.it
Sun Oct 30 02:10:26 EDT 2016

I ended up buying a pre-cooked Trimble plus a missilehead-like GPS antenna:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/252162780444?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.it/itm/262679152903?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This should limit the chance it would be a DOA(well I hope at least), it
comes already boxed, has somewhat a wide power supply voltage range, no
pigtails to play with, and the antenna is new.

Now I just need to prepare the cable for the antenna, the mounting pole
and wait them to arrive through snail mail.

Many thanks to all but especially to Larry McDavid W6FUB that helped me
a lot to decide.

Now, while I wait...

1) I am reading the thread on EEVBlog(Thanks Bob and Bryan), (I have
like one month before I receive the unit so I could have spent more, I
admit) but I have several questions:

     a) Is this a board or a puzzle? seems that brings reverse
engineering to a whole new level. 32 pages of forum posts looking for
missing parts...LOL

     b) which is the difference between the Symmetrical and Trimble
unit? I am mostly interested in interfacing, like the ability to get
also NMEA sentences (if possible) and the ability to add the KOBB
display. In the thread there    are a lot of information but really not
sure how much is common between the two. Only sure thing I have
understood seems that Trimble does not initiate a Survey at power on.

     c) since I *may* like to use the GPS antenna also for the clock
kit(I WANT a DISPLAY!), I would like to build/buy a *simple* spitter.
Just a second output. I hope that a passive cheap schematic would do.
BTW, on which frequencies this unit receive data? Just 1575.42MHz? Would
it be possible to build a Wilkinson splitter?

     d) still confused about the number of serial ports available, their
expected usage and voltage levels.

     e) Which is the antenna signal level (dBm) that this unit require
to operate properly?

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ