[time-nuts] Tbolt issues

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 09:13:41 EDT 2016

Charles,
 would you please share your settings, this is exactly what we are  looking
for. We are doing it by trial and error but your expertise will help
greatly.
English not being my native language linguistics are some time a  problem
Thanks
Bert

In a message dated 9/1/2016 6:26:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
csteinmetz at yandex.com writes:

Bert  wrote:

> maybe some one smarter than us can working with the  parameters that Tbolt
> makes available better performance can be  achieved

I am quite sure of that

> the frequency is being  changed to compensate for time

Yes, the PPS is steered by making slight  adjustments to the OCXO
frequency.  But you can make these  adjustments as arbitrarily small as
you want with the setup  parameters.  I run my Tbolts with pretty tight
limits on the  frequency adjustments.

> and we do not care about ADEV, we care  about the actual
> frequency at that moment it goes in to the measuring  device

There is no "there" there.  One never makes a frequency  measurement at
just one instant -- the measurement will ALWAYS be done  over a macro
time interval (very often, one second, sometimes 0.1, 10,  100, or 1000
seconds).  We never observe, and have no way to know,  the instantaneous
frequency (as you put it, "the actual frequency at that  moment it goes
into the measuring device") -- so how can we care about  it?  The only
thing relevant (or even meaningful) is the average  frequency during our
measurement interval.

xDEV tells us half of  what we want to know -- how stable our oscillator
is from one measurement  interval to another.  We would also like to know
what frequency it is  wobbling around -- the "centroid" frequency, if you
will (to borrow a  geometric term).  (Mathematicians can argue for days
about which type  of "average" is appropriate here -- the rest of us just
pick one and carry  on.)  ADEV does not tell us this "centroid" frequency
directly, but  it can be extracted from the same measurements we took to
calculate  ADEV.

I think you are being misled by a belief that the linguistic  construct,
"instantaneous frequency," has real meaning in the world.   It doesn't.

Best  regards,

Charles