[time-nuts] What's the best Windows 10 ntp client?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 13:23:02 EDT 2016

From: Cube Central

I would like to retract my previous statement.  If you are only using the
Windows system a couple hours a week, that may not be enough time for you to
see any benefit from using NTP.

NTP needs more time than that to "discuss" the local system time with the
other configured NTP servers out there on the Internet.  (and you would want
more than a single server in the configuration file)
[]
-Randal
=====================================

Randal,

Take a look at PC Puffin's timekeeping here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_puffin.php

It is switched on every morning, and is within a couple of milliseconds
almost immediately.  It runs Win-10 which helps (as would Win-8), and syncs
to stratum-1 servers on my LAN.  Some of those servers are Raspberry Pi
cards with a low-cost GPS/PPS, running continuously - possibly another
interesting project for the radio club, together with using the RPi and an
RTL dongle as a receiver between 50 and 1500 MHz.

Using the "pool" directive ensures that NTP has enough servers without
having to edit any configuration file for specific servers.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk