[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Tue Sep 6 00:01:27 EDT 2016

As with most things here - it depends.

I have a converted wine cooler I use for some things.  Bought it for $20
at a flea market. It had blow a fuse on the power supply. This appears
to be a common failure. Won't handle much thermal load, but it's a
Peltier unit, so it will heat as well if wired correctly.  If I need
quicker cooling or lower temps, a couple of pounds of dry ice wrapped in
paper bags usually does the trick.  Heat usually isn't a problem.  I
have a stock of power resistors and many, many watts of power supply.

When I need really hot I use the toaster oven I use for reflow soldering.

I use the 'pico reflow' for temp control.
https://apollo.open-resource.org/mission:resources:picoreflow  It's
Raspberry PI based and provides a lot of flexibility. I keep meaning to
do a board to collect all the control bits so I don't have to hand wire
them.  I'm looking at the Microchip MCP9600 for the thermocouple interface.

I had to do thermal shock for a project a few years back.  A CO2 tank
and a cheap foam cooler handled that nicely.

On 9/5/2016 9:48 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> As we all know, step #1 in making a clock is NOT
> to build a thermometer :-)
>
> I thought I would check the brain trust here to see
> if anyone has seen a hobbyist grade temperature
> testing chamber or kit or homebrew design.
<deletia>