[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Tue Sep 6 08:27:07 EDT 2016

On 9/5/2016 9:48 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> As we all know, step #1 in making a clock is NOT
> to build a thermometer :-)
>
> I thought I would check the brain trust here to see
> if anyone has seen a hobbyist grade temperature
> testing chamber or kit or homebrew design.

<deletia>

> Rick Karlquist N6RK
Another thing I've done in the (distant) past is two cheap foam coolers
with a muffin fan between them.  fill one with dry ice and control the
fan for cooling.  This was the essence of the bench coolers when I
worked for Collins Radio in the late 70's. In that case they were
aluminum boxes with foam walls.  They had Edison based wire heaters with
porcelain forms.  OSHA nightmare, but worked for the task at hand. Used
simple bang-bang controllers.

There are cheap (~$25) Chinese PID controllers, but as I said, I use the
Pico-reflow controller.  Almost as cheap and a /lot/ more flexible.

Oz (N1OZ, in DFW)

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167