[time-nuts] Lady Heather's latest bells and whistles

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:38:59 EDT 2016

I hope to get the next version out in the next couple of weeks...

Ahhh, the subtile wonders of calculating when a leapsecond happens...   A couple of receivers (like 12 channel Motorola receivers) are nice enough to directly tell you the date of the leapsecond.  Tthe Z3801A and Z3812A get it wrong... they expect it to be within three months of the announcement and were saying Sep 30.   When the rollover bug hit mine, in changed to March 31, which then gets 1024 weeks added and winds up in the middle of November.

Some other receivers (some Trimble devices, Ublox, NV08C) have a way of calculating it from almanac data (but have several complications related to GPS week rollovers or day number biases).   If Lady Heather can calculate the date, it shows a countdown clock of the number of days (on the day of the leap, it shows LEAP PENDING).  If the receiver sends the leapsecond pending flag, but not any info about the date, it always shows LEAP PENDING.