[time-nuts] Clean 10 MHz ref

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 05:09:18 EDT 2016

True for the first frequency.  The second statement may or may not be true,
it
was not clear in the original description of the device.  When I wrote Leo
and
asked about a specific second frequency he did a manual calculation and sent
me
the parameters. From another email reply:

    "Sorry, did not catch your email first time.  Thank you for your custom!

    The numbers are internal settings of PLL chip Si5328 and you can find
more
    details here:
    https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/Si53xxReferenceManual.pdf

    You can set other frequencies just by typing them into Output 1 box and
    clicking "Find"  This will find and program the new frequency.

    If you want two separate frequencies at the same time it gets a bit
tricky
    and often need manual setup.  In such case let me know what combination
you
    would like and i will try to find the correct settings."

While this is process is helpful, it is hardly convenient and frankly me
deciphering the doc without a Rosetta Stone isn't going to happen.

Wes, N7WS
==================================

Wes,

Yes, the second frequency does depend on the first, and this is noted in the
review:

  http://www.force12inc.com/content/Bodnar%20GPSDO%20QST%20review.pdf

You can easily have both outputs at the same frequency (e.g. 10 MHz),
though.  Thanks for the pointer to the datasheet.

For me, just having the easily-adjustable single GPS-locked frequency in
such a compact, ready-to-run, unit is great.  Perhaps someone will write a
little program to enable fuller use of the second output.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk