[time-nuts] HP-105B Battery Replacement?

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:07:27 EDT 2016

I have a pair of Liebert GTX2-700RT online UPSes and they work well; I
just replaced the batteries, lubricated the fans, and cleaned the dust
out of them a couple weeks ago.  They have that sort of standard 4
prong socket on the back for external batteries.

But unlike my two Powerware Prestige EXT UPSes, they only operate with
batteries installed.  The Prestige EXT will operate as a super power
conditioner without batteries which is just as well since it uses 5 x
12V 4AH batteries for 60 volts instead of the more standard and less
expensive 4 x 12V 7AH-9AH batteries.  These have a 4 pin Molex type of
socket on the back for battery expansion.  I have considered
converting these to use a bank of supercapacitors but I suspect the
charge circuit would have a fit charging them from zero volts.

I picked these up inexpensively from http://www.refurbups.com/ but I
have not seen any deals on refurbished online UPSes there for quite a
while now.

If your equipment can run on 12 volts DC, then there are less
expensive solutions like one of those Belkin 12 volt battery backed up
power supplies that some ISPs issue to their customers or something
home grown.