[time-nuts] Lucent RFTFm-II-XO

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Thu Sep 22 16:04:19 EDT 2016

One additional point:  Many ordinary PC sound cards do not have proper
input filtering, so anything as fast as a PPS pulse will cause severe
aliasing, even after it has been voltage-clamped to a level that will
not overload the ADC.  (Thus my mention of LP filtering under pulse
conditioning.)

The sound cards that do have adequate input filtering generally use
rapid-cutoff filter alignments, which can ring like crazy -- very much
what you do not want when you are trying to use a pulse for timing.

So:  Best to slow the pulse rise- and fall-times down so you are not
banging on the input filter (if present), or causing aliasing.

Best regards,

Charles