[time-nuts] Line Frequeny Stablity

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 5 17:12:47 EDT 2017

Hi

Back in high school, one of the radio club members figured out that the “clock adjustment” took place
locally between 4:30 and 5:00 PM. Needless to say, pretty much everybody spent the next week listening
to WWV and watching the clock’s second hand go out of sync with the beeps. This was back in the  late 1960’s
and the idea of a grid was a bit looser than it is today. Indeed it was post 1964 so there *were* grids big
enough to take out the whole north east section of the US. Since we were very much in that area the
topic of grid sync came up. Nobody ever really had a good answer to that question. That included the
guys who ran the local power company.

Bob