[time-nuts] TAPR TICC boxed (input protection)

Bill Hawkins bill.iaxs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 10 23:26:18 EDT 2017

There are other ways that light can cause unexpected behavior.

In 1983 I worked on a process control system whose maiden installation
was in a corn processing plant, with lots of big valves and motors being
controlled. The cards that did A/D and D/A conversion of control signals
had UV erasable EPROMs for their microprocessors. There were a lot of
those cards.

One day the plant operators began complaining about the equipment
misbehaving on a large scale. The problem went away when the guy taking
flash pictures of our equipment stopped taking pictures.

We put black tape over the UV lenses.

Ob timenuts: This system later had a pulse frequency input card that I
connected to the power line. Used the operator's trending display for
process variables to watch line frequency change over time. It also had
pulse outputs, and a little work got it to play "Daisy, Daisy" like HAL
9000 in "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Bill Hawkins