[time-nuts] Re. DIY atomic "resonator" 6GHz synthesizer from ADI

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Apr 11 22:00:34 EDT 2017

You always want two frequency sources.  One generates a carrier
frequency offset many MHz from 6.834 GHz and the other frequency
source modulates the carrier with a sideband that is at the
exact ~6.834 GHz frequency that finds the atomic line.  The
sideband is in turn modulated with audio to find the exact
center of the line.  This is now the easiest section to
design.

This architecture automatically gives you gobs of resolution.
Of course you always have the C field for infinite resolution.
The other thing it does is prevent RF leaks from exciting the
atoms, since the strong LO is safely offset from 6.834.

Rick N6RK