[time-nuts] Re. DIY atomic "resonator"

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 12 20:23:48 EDT 2017

Typically External Cavity diode lasers use either the Littrow or the Littman-Metcalf configurations.

A typical Littrow configuration is:

http://www.moglabs.com/uploads/2/4/2/1/24212474/manual_ecd_rev4.20.pdf

Alternatively a cat eye external cavity can be used:

http://www.moglabs.com/uploads/2/4/2/1/24212474/moglabs_cel002_manual_rev108.pdf

To assist with tuning the laser a wavemeter is helpful:

http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/31/004/31004208.pdf

Other variants based on optical wedges or even a simple grating can also be used together with a CCD camera or equivalent to achieve an accuracy approaching a few pm.

Whilst AR coated laser diodes work best its also possible to use uncoated laser diodes.

Such diodes have been successfully used for atomic spectroscopy of rubidium vapour by several groups.

Temperature control of the laser diode and cavity are the most critical issues.

One can easily adapt standard optical mounts to make one's own ECDL but temperature control is critical for use in a rubidium standard.

Locking the laser to the absorption line of interest relaxes the required long term stability of the ECDL itself.

Bruce