[time-nuts] OCXO Soft-Start

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 13 14:17:10 EDT 2017

Hi

If your MCU has a POR that resets the internal oscillator that’s an unusual part. Most
of them I’ve seen simply reset the CPU…..Once the 8 MHz crystal oscillator is running
at 37 to 53 MHz (or KHz) it may or may not ever return to 8 MHz on it’s own. Yes, you
need to get into some nutty (as in volt per second) rates to see a lot of this kind of thing.
It’s not a common thing to run into on a real design and it is even less common to see
it tested for. Unfortunately there are a few fields / companies where really slow supply ramps are
“the way it’s done”.  Needless to say, they have a lot of fun getting stuff to work right.

Bob