[time-nuts] Austron/ Systrom Donner 8181 Time Code Reader

Dave Wood w4ej15 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 19:01:44 EDT 2017

Glenn, your calculator comes up with the value I first calculated, around
13k.  However, I'm pretty sure the original value may have been 4 times
higher based on the partially visible bands on one of the resistors that
indicates it might have been a 56k.  If I use the zener test current in the
data sheet and the max current of the load, I end up with about the same
value the calculator estimates.  But if I use a lower value of zener
current and a lower drain from load I end up with a value pretty close to
what may have been in there originally.  I was hoping someone on the list
had an 8181 and could look to see or have a diagram.  If I use the lower
values then the dissipation of the resistor is within limits but at the
high end.  Using 13k ups the power to a one watt device, which I realize
should have been the value in the first place.  Worse case I start with 56k
and work down until the circuit is happy again.  73  and thanks!