[time-nuts] TAPR Oncore M12+ kit

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 28 20:27:50 EDT 2017

Hi

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 6:05 PM, Dave Mallery <dave.mallery at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi
>
> i posted much earlier.  status: the M12 works wonderfully with lady heather
> v5 from mark sims.  mine has completed its 48 hour precision survey and is
> purring along.
>
> so far, i have had trouble with the serial to usb converter i picked up.
> the one on my other pi3/Tbolt rig runs fine.
>
> can anyone speak to the issues involved in attaching an oscillator?

If by “attaching an oscillator” you mean building a GPSDO, the simple approach still is
to get a Lucent KS box on eBay and run it.  There is massive information in the archives
about them. For a bit more money, there are a number of alternatives.

To do a GPSDO well ( = at least as well as a KS box) there’s more than a little
fiddling and hardware involved. It certainly can be done and people have done it.
Even finding a decent oscillator is a challenge, getting it all together takes some time.

If by “attaching an oscillator” you simply want to calibrate an oscillator you already
have … that’s different. The easy approach is to trigger one channel of your oscilloscope
on the pps out of the GPS. Run the oscillator output into the other input. If you have reason
to believe it’s > 1 Hz off, you will need to set it with a counter first.

Once it is set up, the drift of the oscillator output left or right on the screen shows you
the degree to which the oscillator is high or low in frequency. With a reasonable
scope and a few hours to watch things, you can get very close on your adjustment.

Lots of fun !!

Bob