[time-nuts] Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon

Clint Jay cjaysharp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 05:26:13 EDT 2017

Absolutely, their use of it was for something trivial and my reason for
using that example was to show how 'simple' and available the technology is
if a couple of students could do it with lab equipment that anyone can buy
(obviously you'd need deep pockets).

That it can "so easily" be spoofed (it's not a trivial hack to spoof and
would, as far as I can see, take good knowledge of how GPS works and skill
to implement) is worrying and it could have disastrous consequences if
anyone decided to use it for malicious means but I'd be surprised if there
wasn't a turnkey solution available to anyone who has the funds.