[time-nuts] Special connector for Symmetricom X72 rubidium standard

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Fri Aug 18 00:54:50 EDT 2017

I did some more work on the HP printer cable that uses this connector.
Here's what I found:

1.  Pin 25 on the X72 connector is unconnected.
2.  The connector is IDC.  It's possible to open it up and add the extra
lead, but like all IDC connectors, it's rather fragile.
3.  Of the 25 leads in the cable, 10 aren't connected through. However,
the disconnect is at the DB-25 end.  All 25 leads are wired into the X72
end.
4.  HP used both JST and Molex connectors.  From the pictures I've
found, I can't tell if the Molex connectors can be opened.
5.  The connector appears to be model DMX as shown here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050313045224/http://www.jst-mfg.com:80/pdfE/eDMX.pdf
It looks like you have to order all the pieces seperately (?).

JST Connector:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/182682094117 .  Note the angled
corners near the cable.
Molex Connector:  www.ebay.com/itm/182474574277 .  Note the corners are
closer to square than on the JST connector.

The ideal result would be to find a source of new,unused connectors, but
these printer cables appear to be an alternative.

Ed