[time-nuts] Special connector for Symmetricom X72 rubidium standard

Christoph Kopetzky info at cksd.de
Mon Aug 21 04:26:19 EDT 2017

Hello Ed,

No I do not want to use a printer cable to connect to the X72
oscillator. This is not recommendable as you wrote for several reasons.
I would prefer a solution which uses an actual connector which could
replace the obsolete Molex 52660-2651 plug.
This is very difficult because every manufacturer which had connectors
with 1.0 mm pitch in its program has stopped production of those connectors.
I wrote a lot of emails the last days to a lot of sellers and to
manufacturers which had 1.0 mm pitch conns in their program but all
cannot sell ones right now.
Another solution would be to to replace the original Molex board
connector with a newer 1.27 mm pitch one. There a some sources but it is
hard to find one which fits the onboard pcb layout. So I do not want to
rebuild the X72. I prefer a solution which do not modify the rubidium
source.

Mark Sims solution to build a new connector board with the needed
connections and may be a little bit more features will be the best
solution right now. So if he had finished his board I would be happy to
get the sources to get some ordered at my local PCB manufacturer.
I think that brings the best options for future use of the X72
oscillator which seems to be a very good small rubidium oscillator
nowerdays. SA22.c oscillators are not so spread over the known used-item
reseller sources and if yes they are quite expensive to buy.

If some of you wants to buy one ore more X72 I had a link to a seller
which has a few on stock:
Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Symmetricom-X72-Rubidium-Oscillator-10-32V-DC-10MHz/152549446499?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Have a nice day and