[time-nuts] Isolated 1PPS-input for distribution-amp?

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 08:12:00 EDT 2017

Hi all,
I'm looking for a solution for galvanic isolation of a 1PPS signal-input to
a distribution amplifier.

We have an old box using HCPL-2411 at the input followed by 74LS04, but the
degraded rise-time (from below 3ns out of a clock, to >12 ns out of the
box) and increased jitter (from below TIC-resolution of 20ps out of the
clock to 700ps std.dev at 100s out of the box) are now limiting our
measurements.

Does anyone have experience with a circuit with good rise-time and low
jitter?
Should I look for better optoisolators, or pulse-transformers, or something
else?

thanks for your input!
Anders

PS. I started on publishing my distribution-amplifier (non isolated) on the
ohwr.org site, see https://www.ohwr.org/projects/pda-8ch-fda-8ch/wiki/wiki