[time-nuts] low power, but quiet, oscillators

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 6 18:36:53 EST 2017

On 2/6/17 2:37 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> One of the most basic reasons for putting out > +20 dbm is that you
> had a spec of -195 dbc / Hz for the noise floor :)
>
> Some of these specs *are* a bit mutually exclusive.

Sure.. And to be honest, I'm not sure that some of the folks coming up
with paper requirements for these speculative low power transmitters are
aware of that.  They take dBc values from 1 Watt transmitters and assume
you can meet that with your 1 mW transmitter.

Then again couldn't you cool your oscillator.. that gets the T part of
the kT down lower <grin>

Cool that puppy down to <1K and get 25dB noise improvement, eh?