[time-nuts] u-blox NEO-M8T GPS initial tracking test

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Thu Feb 9 22:03:12 EST 2017

wow
Five M8Ts.
And here I was feeling extravagant having splurged for one...

I'm only seeing between 20 and 25 signals, but there's a bank of
concrete&steel brick-clad buildings opposite. And typically with the
majority of signals coming from north of my building, they're coming in
off those buildings. Given the building orientation, the reported
location during survey is interesting (attached).

With freezing rain yesterday, then a drop in temperature, one, the
other, or both, resulted in last night's sats at 20 degrees and 35
degrees on heading 320 showing a strong signal, likely off the
freezing-rain coated office tower. I may throw a piece of RF foam in LOS
from that building to the antenna to see if that can sufficiently block
that one source. Isn't multipath fun.

I believe the M8T is supposed to be able to directly replace a M7T or
M6T. By chance did you drop the M8T onto a M6T or M7T board?

The only thing I haven't been able to do is the GNSS configure and
enable of GAL. Even with the assigned channels well under the 32 max, it
won't accept GAL configurations. Seeing there was no GAL sequence in the
text GNSS config file (others show their id an a sequence of zeros), I
even configured Beidou as GAL, generated the GNSS config file and edited
it to change the Beidou id from 3 to 2 for GAL. Loading the file
populates with the text config file settings, except that it treats the
2/GAL labelled sequence as its original Beidou as if the id is still 3.

Any tips on configuring/enabling for GAL?

Michael