[time-nuts] Vintage Frequency Measurement

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 12 15:57:24 EST 2017

I am surprised no-one mention the 3-beat method, which was fairly common for
Hams with comms receivers. You put the BFO on and adjusted so the main slow
beat modulated the level of the output tone. You can judge zero beat to much
better than 0.1Hz that way probably near as low as 0.01Hz. (1E-9 for 10MHz
!!)

Lissajous figures are not ideal either but don't require a comms receiver,
(but do require a 'scope with X-Y facilities :-))  ) a better technique
certainly for fixed frequencies (stand comparison) uses Z-mod on the scope
or a running "toothed wheel" display see Radio Laboratory Handbook by
Scroggie.

Ah and the BC-221......

Alan
G3NYK