[time-nuts] Vintage Frequency Measurement

Alan Hochhalter alanh137 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 21:13:44 EST 2017

I have a General Radio Type CAG-60098-A Precision Wave Meter made for Navy
Department - Bureau of Ships according to the nameplate.  According to
Wikipedia that would date it between 1940 (when bureau of ships was
created) and 1966 (when abolished).  It has an inductor in sort of a
"hockey puck" labeled 16-50 kc that plugs into a socket on the front panel.
Inside is a very nicely made variable capacitor with a vernier drive.  It
has been a while since I had it apart, but there is a diode in series with
the meter and not much else as I recall.  The meter scale is 0-200
(microamp?) and the capacitor scale is 0-75 with no other marking.  I have
no manual, but I assume there were other inductors for different frequency
ranges with a calibration chart to interpret the 0-75 reading.  It must
have been made to test transmitters by tuning for peak reading on the meter
and determining the frequency from the dial reading.

a different Alan (KE7AXC)