[time-nuts] Installing GPS Antenna

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Sat Feb 18 00:57:04 EST 2017

I have finally ordered a GPSDO (probably get here in April). In the meantime,
I have the GPS antenna (Luctel, 26Db). I picked up a 20' solid section of 1 1/4"
copper pipe at the plumbing store with the intention of mounting it to my
chimney.

My question is about the stability of that mounting. I expect that 16 or 17
feet of the pipe will be above the chimney. The weight of the GPS antenna is
trivial. The effective cross section area of the pipe is very small as well,
so I would think that wind effects would be pretty small even for a good
breeze.

Will that be sufficiently stable, or will I need to include guy wires? If so,
are there any recommendations in that area. I don't really have any experience
putting up antennas. I know that TV antennas are much heavier and, even though
not mounted as high, still 10' or so is common without guy wires.

Thanks.

Michael