[time-nuts] Installing GPS Antenna

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 18 08:32:13 EST 2017

Hi

Let’s back off a bit here.

If the chimney is above the rest of the house, simply putting the antenna a foot or
two above the chimney will get you past the immediate issues of the house blocking
or reflecting stuff.

If the top of the chimney has a view to the south down to about 10 degrees off the
horizon *and* it maintains that for most of a +/- 100 degree arc, that is doing fine.

If the application is just timing, having a mount that does not move around a lot
is a really good idea.

With any antenna, putting it up higher than needed simply makes it a better lightning
target (you *will* have proper grounding and suppression on this antenna, it still
is not perfect).

On a GPSDO with a good sky view, you may well set the elevation mask to something
like 20 or even 30 degrees to improve the timing performance. When you do, all
the effort to get a sky view down to 10 degrees becomes a bit less worthwhile.

=====

So: what is the reason for getting the antenna 15 feet above the chimney?

Bob