[time-nuts] TTimelab question

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Wed Feb 22 16:44:43 EST 2017

Hi John,

I have to agree with you about enclosures.  They make the difference between a DIY unit and a nice commercial unit, but they are very expensive.  The enclosures I use are about $20 each from Mouser.  But the end panels are another $20 each: milled front and back.  So, that's $60 per unit.  One suggestion I might make is to check into what it would cost to make the end panels from circuit board.  At volume, it might be significantly cheaper that $20 per panel.  Learning KICAD well enough to make an end panel isn't that difficult.

OSHPark has better prices on larger volume orders.  Off the cuff without looking, I think I pay about $19 per mainboard for an order of 10, so that would probably work out to $15 for a pair of PCB end panels.  That's still $35 per enclosure, though.  You'd probably need to order 15 of each to meet their minimums.  There are other suppliers that have better prices, but I have no experience with them or their costs.  It wouldn't be as nice as milled aluminum, but it should work just as well.
Bob