[time-nuts] Trimble "UCCM" GPSDO adevs

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Feb 23 19:49:49 EST 2017

This is very, very cool, Mark.  I've been concerned for a long time that
people take way too seriously what you properly call "bogo-ADEV" that's
self-generated from the GPSDO.  Integrating a counter that compares
against an external source is a huge win.

But I want to remind everyone that as neat as the TICC is, like any time
interval counter it still has limited performance for short-term ADEV.
The ADEV floor is typically a bit under 1x10e-10 at one second, and goes
down at a slope of -1 (so, a bit under 1x10e-13 at 1000 seconds averaging).

If you're comparing a pair of decent sources, results at measurement tau
of less than at least several hundred seconds are likely showing counter
jitter, not real performance.  It's important always to keep that in mind.

John
----