[time-nuts] Line Voltage - USA

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jan 5 02:32:40 EST 2017

--------
In message <CANX10hDU56pOQ1kQAbDBGLSS6U0D=AMp+=D7cajBhxb+zKDTfA at mail.gmail.com>
, "Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)" writes:

>I measured my voltage overnight in a peak hold at 255.10 V RMS as close to
>the meter as I could.

There is a very specific procedure for measuring this and it averages
over some number of seconds which I have forgotten.

Peaks happen all the time when stuff turns on and off.

>I spoke to a friend of mine who worked at the CEGB. He thought I might have
>a tough time getting the electricity company to do anything about 2.1 V if
>it was expensive for them to do.

It's cheap.

All transformers have "Winding-couplers", basically switches that
pick how many windings to use for the exact same reason.

After they buried the distribution here, the voltage rose.

I called them and explained it was above limits for many minutes
at a time (causing my solar inverter to stop).

A truck popped around, cut power to the local area, and dropped a
couple of volts on the transformer, turned power on again and the
problem was fixed.