[time-nuts] EFOS maser turns 34!

John Ponsonby jebponsonby at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 12:13:43 EST 2017

In an H-maser the cavity works in the TE0,1,1 axially symmetric non-polarized mode. It's length is half a waveguide wavelength long. As I'm sure you all know the wavelength in a waveguide is longer than the free-space wavelength for the same frequency. At a given frequency the smaller the cross-section of the guide the longer the guide wavelength becomes until when the guide is at cut-off the guide wavelength goes to infinity. So in principle one can make the cavity length in an H-maser as long as one likes. When close to cut-off a small change in cavity diameter requires a relatively large change in length to keep the resonant frequency constant. For any uniform waveguide the guide wavelength λg is related to the free-space wavelength λo by the expression:

		λg = 1/sqrt((1/λo)^2 - (1/λc)^2)

where λc is a characteristic length which depends on the shape and size of the guide cross-section.
For the TE0,1 mode λc  = 0.820×cavity-diameter. Unfortunately these expressions are only indicative and not exact in the case of the H-maser because the cavity isn't empty and it isn't uniformly loaded. It is dielectrically loaded by the storage bulb inside it and it isn't easy to compute the effect of the storage bulb.
	Harry Peters made some long-cavity H-masers when he was at Goddard SFC but most masers are made with length ≈ diameter.

John P