[time-nuts] σ vs s in ADEV

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jan 9 13:45:54 EST 2017

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 13:41:34 -0500
Scott Stobbe <scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I could be wrong here, but it is my understanding that Allan's pioneering
> work was in response to finding a statistic which is convergent to 1/f
> noise. Ordinary standard deviation is not convergent to 1/f processes. So I
> don't know that trying to compare the two is wise. Disclaimer: I could be
> totally wrong, if someone has better grasp on how the allan deviation came
> to be, please correct me.

Yes, this is basically where it all started from. [1, section 5.2.1] gives
a short summary of the problem.

			Attila Kinali

[1] "Handbook of Frequency Stability Analysis" NIST Special Pub 1065,
by W.J. Riley, 2008
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/2220.pdf
--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.