[time-nuts] wifi with time sync

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:45:44 EST 2017

Short answer:  See man page for ntpq

Longer...

First run NTP then after some time (15 minute to an hour) at the command
line time type "ntpq -p"

"ntpq" will query NTP for timing statistics.  It will report the average
delay between the local computer and the set of reference clocks (other
servers) that NTP is connected to.  Along with the average delay you get
variation in that delay (std dev?)    Note the if NTP can calculate the
delay, it has already compensated for it.   It is only the uncertainty of
the compensation that matters, hence the need to report the variation.

The data shows the total delay and variation over the network and the
reference clocks might be thousands of miles away.  So you might want to
run one on say your wifi router or a local computer with hardwire
connection to the router then you'd see the effect of only your wifi.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What standard protocol would you recommend I run from the command line on
> my computer
> to get a quick estimate of the timing lag and variablilty  on my
> particular WiFi connection?
>
> Bob
>
> > On Jan 13, 2017, at 3:25 PM, John Hawkinson <jhawk at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > Can we please stop talking about pings?
> >
> > Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote on Fri, 13 Jan 2017
> > at 15:12:38 -0500 in <C88C78A6-A015-4DCC-9E23-394DC33A3470 at n1k.org>:
> >
> >> I’m sure you are right about the response time. Right now the
> >> variation is running almost 3 ms at one sigma on a ping so there is
> >> a lot to do simply to get the accuracy anywhere near 1 us.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California