[time-nuts] wifi with time sync

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 19:11:49 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer:  See man page for ntpq
>
> Longer...
>
> First run NTP then after some time (15 minute to an hour) at the command
> line time type "ntpq -p"
>
> "ntpq" will query NTP for timing statistics.  It will report the average
> delay between the local computer and the set of reference clocks (other
> servers) that NTP is connected to.  Along with the average delay you get
> variation in that delay (std dev?)    Note the if NTP can calculate the
> delay, it has already compensated for it.   It is only the uncertainty of
> the compensation that matters, hence the need to report the variation.
>
> The data shows the total delay and variation over the network and the
> reference clocks might be thousands of miles away.  So you might want to
> run one on say your wifi router or a local computer with hardwire
> connection to the router then you'd see the effect of only your wifi.
>

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What standard protocol would you recommend I run from the command line on
>> my computer
>> to get a quick estimate of the timing lag and variablilty  on my
>> particular WiFi connection?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> > On Jan 13, 2017, at 3:25 PM, John Hawkinson <jhawk at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>> >
>> > Can we please stop talking about pings?
>> >
>> > Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote on Fri, 13 Jan 2017

Presuming that the computer on the WiFi network is a supported Unix, I
might use PTP to measure one way delay, PTP needs "special" hardware
to do hardware timestamping, but _can_ be run on any network
interface.

I'd guess that the the WiFi for doing "sub microsecond" accuracy would
not be the current 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but 802.11ay

Cheers

Arne