[time-nuts] wifi with time sync

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 14 15:08:31 EST 2017

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> Ok, what I see is that every few hours, I get a “rogue delay” on a single
> ping. How would NTP help me spot a single transit with a 250 ms round trip
> and identify the  time it occured? Keep in mind that NTP is going to
> throttle back to a very low level of “chat” quite quickly…..

If you turn on ntpd's rawstats, it will write an entry for each packet
exchange with 4 time stamps.  If you assume the clocks on both systems are
accurate, you can get the transit times in each direction.  That will tell
you which direction is having troubles.  That may or may not be useful
information.

You can make ntpd poll more frequently with maxpoll on the server line.  I
think the normal default min is 64 seconds.  You can get more by using more
servers.  If that's not fast enough, poke me off list and I'll write a hack
that will do it faster and/or write the log files in a format you like.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.