[time-nuts] Detector Matching

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 19 19:30:25 EST 2017

Hi

Not sure this is on topic for the group, but here’s the simple answer:

Your diode detector does not present a constant load as the power goes from
-50 dbm to 0 dbm. If you have a matching circuit, it can only work at one power level.
In addition, you have frequency effects.

The simple answer is not to match the detector over the whole power range. You provide
an adequate match to the rest of the system by other means (possibly an isolator, maybe something
else).

Bob